Questions to Ask Your Doctor
HMC understands the importance of collaborating with other medical experts to provide a range of care that best serves each patient. Your healthcare needs are as individual as you and your course of treatment and options for care should be fully discussed with your physician so you can be as informed as possible.
As part of your discussion, ask your doctor about the benefits of including experts in palliative and hospice care part of your care plan. With more than 30 years experience, HMC offers the community's greatest expertise in these services and we are available to speak with you and your doctor as needed to help answer any questions.
Questions to ask your doctor to determine what the future of your treatment may look like:
- How many cases like mine have you treated? What is a typical outcome?
- Will you be trying to cure or control my illness?
- Should my goals realistically be to be active or to rest comfortably?
- Do you think I’ll be able to do everyday activities around the house while going through treatment…or will I need help?
- Will my treatment be painful?
- What side effects should I expect?
- How will this treatment affect my family/caregivers?
- Will I need to go to the hospital for treatment? If so, for how long?
- Do you expect me to be housebound? Confined mostly to a bed or chair in my house?
- How long will it be until we can evaluate results?
- Will my treatment be covered by insurance?